Why cycle to work?
You’ll have your own reasons for wanting to cycle to work, but there are probably more benefits than you realise. Here are just some of them:
✓ A healthier you – both in mind and body
✓ Reaching your fitness goals more quickly
✓ A happier you as you become healthier and fitter
✓ Enjoying your commute to work so you arrive on time and feeling energised
✓ Becoming more effective in your work
✓ Saving money on fuel and car parking costs
As well as personally benefiting from cycling from work, there are environmental benefits including less congestion and less pollution through lower emissions and reduced noise.
One of the cool things about GCI is that you are not restricted by the normal £1,000 limit of other cycle to work schemes. That’s right, no limits! How is this possible? Well, GCI is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We are the only scheme that is which is why only GCI can offer bikes at any value.
Not into E-bikes?
Power away on E-bikes
In an ideal world
Find out how much you can save using our online calculator.
Your bike package
- As mentioned above, your package will, of course, include a bicycle, and by that we mean anything defined as a bicycle under the Road Traffic Act. So that’s a yes to conventional bikes, electric bikes, cargo bikes etc but a no to scooters, mopeds, motorbikes or anything that just isn’t a bicycle.
- Bikes with more than two wheels will normally be allowed, so trikes and cargo bikes are OK. Our registered bike shops can advise you on this.
- You should note that the bike must be from a reputable brand, approved for the UK and, if they are electric, comply with the government’s rules on E-bikes. Again, your local bike shop can help you out on this.
- As mentioned above, you can add accessories and safety equipment to your package and this includes racks, child seats, locks, lights, helmets, and clothing. Don’t go too mad though; HMRC suggest a common-sense approach.
- You also can’t have anything such as a dongle which removes any speed restrictions from an e-bike, because then it’s a moped, not a bicycle. That breaks the rules.
- Whilst you can tailor-make your package, the final decision as whether it’s a suitable package for the scheme is down to Green Commute Initiative.
So, what are you waiting for? Have a chat with your HR department and then get down to your local bike shop to build your package. Cycling to work will take you in the right direction.
Green Commute Initiative is leading the industry with its cycle-to-work scheme with no limits. GCI scheme participants benefit from no £1,000 spending cap and no scheme exit fees. Save up to 47%, depending on your tax bracket. Pay monthly through salary sacrifice with no added interest. Get an E-bike or conventional bike and help reduce congestion and pollution whilst improving your health, fitness and mental well being.